1/14/11

End of Book Reflection on "The Pearl"

     The Pearl had an unusual twist to it at the end of the book. I did know that one way or another the pearl would get disposed of, I didn't know how or when. I was a little surprised that it was Kino who threw it into the lake instead of Juana. Although sense the tracker shot Coyotito when he thought he was shooting a coyote. I suppose after that misfortune and loss of life, anyone would throw even their most prized possession into a lake. The number one thing I don't understand about all this is how they knew it was the pearl's fault and, why around the end the pearl really had no purpose anymore. Unlike where in the beginning and the middle the pearl was everything but then around the end of the book, the pearl kind of faded away .
     The lesson learned in this book is, not to get greedy over something. If you get greedy it's usually hard to get ride of the greed in your self that you've gained. For example, Kino got so Greedy about the pearl he almost forgot 100% about his family until he killed a man in self defense and had to run. Kino beat his wife just because she tried to dispose of the pearl. It's one thing if you kill someone because you're defending yourself it's another if you beat your own wife just because you're greedy over a pearl. Though everyone including Kino thought it was the pearl of the world, honestly means nothing , there's somethings that you just shouldn't do. It took Kino until his own son got shot for him to actually get a wake up call and see all the evil that was happening in front his own face. That's the one sad thing about this book is that a man of his rank and respect was blinded by greed. Lesson learned that if you get to greedy you could lose your sanity and go over the top even if you think you're not.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you supported everything you said with a specific example from the book. This is exactly how one writes about literature! You might want to revisit the post to make some corrections in spelling and such.

    ReplyDelete